The Paperboard Packaging Alliance (PPA) has announced the winners of the 2021 Student Design Challenge, an annual competition that fosters awareness and appreciation of paperboard packaging among the next generation of packaging design decision makers. Design teams across the country have created sustainable cardboard packaging solutions for community relief organizations.
“Teams of students and educators have worked together on innovative projects demonstrating a bright future for our industry,” said Heidi Brock, President and CEO of AF&PA. “These projects highlight the possibilities of sustainable paper products and how packaging can aid the work of community relief organizations during the ongoing pandemic.”
Design projects by students from the following schools were named winners:
• 1st place: Institute of Fashion Technology, Super Kit
• 2nd place: California Polytechnic State University, Sweet Pea
• 3rd place: Rochester Institute of Technology, Super Sibs Lemon-Aid Package
“Congratulations to the winners for their awesome designs. Our Student Design Challenge participants have used collaboration and real-world skills to prepare for exciting careers in our industry,” said Brock.
“The Student Design Challenge represents the full and diverse range of talent in the next generation of packaging professionals,” said Paperboard Packaging Council (PPC) Chairman Ben Markens. “We are honored to celebrate these students and welcome them to our Spring Outlook & Strategies conference, where they can network and engage with industry leaders.”
Additional thanks were announced for the following entries:
• California Polytechnic State University, Sweet Pea (Audience Award)
• California Polytechnic State University, Art Kit (Honourable Mention)
• Fashion Institute of Technology, PERIOD All-In-One Dispenser Box (Honourable Mention)
• California Polytechnic State University, EcoSlo (dedication)
• Fashion Institute of Technology, Doctors Without Borders obstetrics kit (Shout-out)
• Ryerson University, Adventure Club Party Box (Shout-out)
• The University of Texas at Arlington, 4Forever (Shout-out)
The Paperboard Packaging Alliance (PPA) is a joint initiative of the American Forest & Paper Association and the Paperboard Packaging Council. The Student Design Challenge encourages university students in leading packaging design and graphic design programs to showcase their creative flair, design skills, and innovative approaches to addressing real customer needs and marketing scenarios. The winners were honored March 10 at the Hilton Denver City Center at PPC’s Spring Outlook & Strategies 2022 conference, which brought together more than 200 paperboard packaging professionals.